With summer officially coming to an end, it’s time to get ready to go back to school! Based on the responses from patients over the last few weeks, most of you are excited to start the new school year. Of course, plenty of you wish that summer would never end.
If you’ve recently started orthodontic treatment with braces or Invisalign, there are a couple things you should keep in mind. Read below to find out more:
Braces at school
While you have plenty to worry about with the new school year starting, I have some suggestions so that your new braces won’t be one of them!
- Keep in mind that food can get stuck in your braces! Bring soft, not chewy, food for lunch. Here’s a list of some food suggestions.
- Stop by the restroom after you eat. Bring a little toothbrush with you to quickly brush away any food left in your braces.
- When you’re trying to figure out the answer to a quiz question, don’t chew on your pencil! This is an easy way to knock off a bracket.
If you have any questions or concerns, please don’t hesitate to call us at Christenson Family Orthodontics. We are happy to help and want your experience in braces to be awesome!
Invisalign at school
As you’ve probably heard me say, the good thing and the bad thing about aligners (like Invisalign) is that you can take them out. It’s great so that you can brush and floss your teeth every day, but you have to remember to put them back in. Here are a couple of suggestions to make sure you stay on track with your aligners during the school year.
- Keep your aligner case in your backpack. If you take your aligners out, immediately put them in your case and put the case in you backpack. This will make sure you don’t crack them or throw them away. Stop by our office in Great Bridge if you need an extra case to keep in your bag.
- After you eat, swish your mouth out with water to rinse any food/sugars off your teeth before putting your aligners back in.
- Put reminders on your books or binders to help you to remember to put your aligners back in after lunch. Remember that you need to have them in for about 22 hours per day.
If you recently finished orthodontics and are now wearing retainers, all of the aligner suggests are for you too!
All of us at Christenson Family Orthodontics hope your school year is off to a wonderful start!